image description

Frequently Asked Questions

I am having difficulties with my homework and getting bad grades on tests. Is there tutoring available?

Yes, Concordia offers tutoring services for students struggling in specific courses such as Math and Science. Contact Erika Wiescher to request a tutor. There is also a Writing Center located in the GRW Library that can assist you with writing research papers in English.

I am running low on money and would like to work part-time on campus at Concordia. Where can I go to find information about employment on campus?

The first thing to remember is that as an international student on an F-1 visa, you are only allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours per week on campus. The best place to start your job search is by visiting the Concordia University Career Services website. You can click on "On-Campus Job Postings" in the left menu bar to see what positions are currently available.

I have heard I need to get a social security number in order to work in the U.S. Where do I go to do this?

Social Security is a retirement benefit program that began approximately 75 years ago to provide economic protection for US workers when they retire. The program "taxes" a portion of every worker's paycheck. The employer matches the "tax" and sends it to the Social Security program for savings until the worker reaches retirement age. A Social Security card is required only if you work in the United States. To apply for a Social Security card, you must have proof of a job offer and you must go in person to:

Social Security Office
1538 SW Yamhill Street
Portland, OR 97205

For more information on Social Security, visit the Social Security Administration's website.

I would like to meet other students. Where do I go to learn about student activities happening on and off campus?

The Department of International Studies encourages all international students to get involved in student activities. It is a great way to better your English speaking skills and good for alleviating some feelings of homesickness. Check out the Student Activities board next to the student cafeteria in the Hagen Campus Center or check the Student Life Calendar. Activities are posted regularly!

You can also get involved in a student club on campus

Concordia is in the process of starting an International Student Club on campus as well.

I enjoy exercise in my home country. Is there a place on campus I can exercise or play sports?

Concordia University has a wonderful gym on campus for students. You can also participate in intramural sports. Visit the gym to sign-up.

I am struggling with living in another culture and am missing home. Is there someone on campus that can help me process what I am feeling?

Concordia University has a Counseling Center that is free for all full-time Concordia students. A counselor can serve as a great resource on campus and can also provide a listening ear to assist you as you adjust to American culture and living far away from your home.

I have a cold and feel sick. Is there someone on campus that can provide health care?

A good place to start, if it is not an emergency, is with the campus nurse. Check their website for details, location, and how to schedule an appointment.

Should you have any other questions, please know that you can always contact the Department of International Studies:

Linda Rountree

Erika Wiescher