What Characterizes a Successful Online Learner?
We believe that all highly motivated learners are capable of being successful in a well-designed and supported online learning environment. It is evident, however, that in possessing a specific set of learning skills and attitudes, and developing a high level of comfort with the tools and strategies, individual learners can increase their success in online learning experiences.
The most successful of online learners share a set of attributes, skills and attitudes. These learners are...
- self motivated, drawing motivation for learning from intrinsic or individual and personal extrinsic sources;
- self-directed, being able to identify learning goals and objectives that are appropriate to their own context;
- energetic, recognizing that online classes are not cheap and easy credits, but require learners to spend at least as much time on learning as do traditional courses;
- self-disciplined, managing their time and schedules carefully;
- self-reliant, independently solving problems, gathering, and pursuing necessary contacts and follow-up;
- good critical readers, being able to interpret and synthesize the written word;
- comfortable and competent with instructional technologies, using computers, the Internet, e-mail, office applications, and other applications appropriate to the learning situation; and
- information literate, possessing the skills and knowledge needed to locate, differentiate and evaluate various sources of information, and why, when, and how to use them.