Though she was born in the southeastern United States and lived in Germany during her early childhood, Kathy Beal spent most of her school-age years in California. She graduated from Westmont College with a B.A. in English Literature and Religious Studies (emphasis Christian Education). After moving to Arizona, Kathy earned her M.Ed. in Educational Leadership from Northern Arizona University.
Kathy has worked in education for many years, specializing in adult education and family literacy. She designed an award-winning Even Start family literacy program in the Phoenix, Arizona area. Kathy also developed a learning disabilities program for an adult learning center in Maricopa County. She participated in the formation of learning communities with the Arizona State Department of Education, and served on the ADE steering committee to align curriculum to state standards. Kathy has enjoyed developing and presenting workshops on church leadership and discipleship in several countries, including South Africa, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Chile and Canada.
Some of Kathy’s many accomplishments include:
- Developing a teacher’s manual for Family Literacy program instructors which won a “Visions of Excellence” Award
- Participating in English Language Adult Acquisition (ELAA) standards development project for the State Department of Education, Adult Education
- Provided weekly training for staff in Maricopa County Adult Education Program for the integration of program components, team collaboration, community resource development, lesson planning,
- Trained teachers, tutors and volunteers on educational issues, theory and practice of adult education instructional techniques, including application to students with learning disabilities
- Certificate completion for Arizona Professional Learning Community pilot
- Certificate of Achievement for Successful Completion of the Maricopa County Professional Development Leadership Academy
Kathy has been married to Bruce since 1978. Bruce and Kathy served in ministry for many years, in pastoring, discipleship and other leadership roles. Kathy is an avid birder, and enjoys traveling to birding hotspots to add birds to her life list.