The following programs are for a semester/year and are full-time. Students can earn between 12 - 18 credits. In some cases, the courses count as transfer and in other cases (with AHA/NCSA programs) the courses count and are transcripted as Concordia credit.
All of the following programs are affiliated programs (CU has a signed agreement with the provider or directly with the foreign university). Therefore students can use financial aid or any outside scholarships for these affiliated programs. Most Concordia scholarships do not involve "real" money and cannot be applied to costs for study abroad. HOWEVER, unlike most other private universities, Concordia does not charge additional tuition for studying abroad. Students pay the actual cost of the program plus a $250 study abroad fee which remains at Concordia.
Our major affiliate partners are:
How much does a semester abroad cost?
The cost varies from site to site and depends in part on the cost of living in the city and the exchange rate for the dollar. Here are some examples:
- London: $16,500
- Malaga Spain: $8500
- Brazil: $10,750
- Morocco: $9950
- Sydney Australia: $16,995
- South Africa: $13,495
These prices INCLUDE tuition (12-18 credits), housing, meals (in most cases), medical insurance, in country transportation, on-site staff support, excursions. All of our study abroad sites have on-site directors who provide support and services for the students.
Study Abroad Opportunities
- ARGENTINA - Buenos Aires, Cordoba, Rosario
- AUSTRIA - Salzburg, Vienna
- AUSTRALIA - Sydney, Canberra, Perth, Adelaide
- BELGIUM - Brussels
- BRAZIL - Florianopolis
- CHILE - Valparaiso, Vina Del Mar
- CHINA - Shanghai, Beijing, Nanjing
- COSTA RICA - Heredia, San Jose
- CZECH REPUBLIC - Prague
- DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Santiago
- ECUADOR - Quito, Galapagos
- ENGLAND - London, Newcastle, Reading
- EGYPT - Cairo, American University **
- FRANCE - Paris, Cannes, Grenoble, Angers, Montpellier
- GHANA - Accra
- GREECE - Athens
- INDIA - Hyderabad, Kolkata
- IRELAND - Limerick
- ITALY - Florence, Rome, Macerata, Siena
- JAMAICA - Kingston
- JAPAN - Katsuura, Tokyo ** International Budo University, Bunkyo University
- JORDAN - Amman
- MEXICO - Guanajuato, Morelia, Puebla **Universidad de las Americas (UDLA)
- MOROCCO - Meknes
- NEW ZEALAND - Wellington, Dunedin
- PANAMA - Panama City
- PERU - Lima
- RUSSIA - St. Petersburg
- SCOTLAND - Glasgow
- SOUTH AFRICA - Stellenbosch
- SOUTH KOREA - Seoul
- SPAIN - Barcelona, Bilbao, Granada, Madrid, Malaga, Salamanca, Santander, Sevilla, Valencia, Oviedo, Segovia
- THAILAND - Chiang Mai
More and more students are taking advantage of summers to gain a study abroad experience. Students usually earn 6 - 10 credits. Most of the sites listed above also offer summer programs. There are also some additional summer choices:
- Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Berlin, Germany
- Dublin, Ireland
- Fes, Morocco
- Cusco, Peru
- Istanbul, Turkey
Concordia Faculty-Led Programs and Exchanges
Field Biology - every year, the biology faculty lead several field biology classes. Past sites include Belize, Guatemala, Hawaii, New Zealand, Australia. Students earn 3 credits of biology.
- Tours - Some faculty lead tours, usually in May. These are more like tours, but students can register for one credit so that they can use financial aid. They are usually 7-9 days and cost around $3,000. Past sites include Greece, Italy, London.
- Social Work international study tours (1-2 weeks) have included Korea, Germany, and Dominican Republic.
- Each fall, CU hosts students from the University of Vechta in Germany. In May, students from Concordia go to Vechta for a one month study/tour. The cost is $1,200 plus airfare.
- A special program has been developed for nursing students to study Spanish for Health Care Workers and also do an internship in a Mexican hospital. Currently this is offered every other year in May. Cost about $2100 and includes tuition, housing, meals.
- New faculty led programs are being developed though my office. The latest is Dr. Erin Mueller's course in Global Psychology which will be taught in Swaziland in spring/summer 2012.
- The SOM is in the process of developing a program in China for undergraduates in business.
Concordia University System Programs
Seven Concordia campuses have joined together to create a consortium for study abroad (River Forest, Selma, Austin, St. Paul, Ann Arbor, Seward, and Portland). The first program was launched this spring (2011) in Costa Rica. Students from all of the Concordias are taking courses through Veritas University as well as courses taught by a Concordia faculty member. Students also participate in a required service learning project.
The cost for next spring 2012 will be about $9200 and includes tuition, room, meals, excursions.
All study abroad is coordinated through the Department of International Studies. For more information, contact Linda Rountree, Luther 214, Office Phone: 503 493-6248 or Erika Wiescher at 503-280-8152.