The Office of Service Leadership provides multiple resources to support students in connecting to Service Opportunities in the Portland Metro area. These resources are specifically designed to assist students who are enrolled in Service Learning courses; however, we are always more than happy to support students who are just excited about getting engaged with service as well outside of course curriculum!
The main resources offered by the OSL to connect to local volunteer opportunities include:
1. The Office of Service Leadership offers many student-led service opportunities in the community. To learn more about these and how to register for them, check out our "Student Led-Initiatives" page.
2. Our Community Partner Database: The database allow students to search for opportunities by location, service type, and length of time commitment. Each Community Partner within our database has specifically identified that they would like to work with Concordia students!
3. Concordia's Service Learning Placement Coordination (SLPC) Program for in-person service consultations and hour tracking for students involved in on-ground Service Learning Courses. Details about this program are below.
4. The OSL also encourages students to review Hands On Portland's Volunteer Opportunity Calendar, Idealist.org's Volunteer Opportunity Database, and VolunteerMatch.org for information about additional options in the community.
Service Learning Placement Coordination (SLPC) Program
The Service Learning Placement Coordination Program is a network of Concordia students who are trained and equipped to support their peers in connecting to service opportunities to meet their academic needs, passions, and schedule. Service Learning Placement Coordinaton Program will provide this support through a variety of resources, including:
- Resource Email: Each semester an email will be sent out to all students to share about on-going service opportunities within the Office of Service Leadership as well as resources that are available to help students plan to successfully complete their academic service learning hours.
- Service Consultations: During a Service Consultation, Service Learning Placement Coordinators will provide one-on-one support for students to ask questions, hear about available options, and develop a plan for successfully completing service hours. There are two ways that students can access a service consultation:
- Drop-In Hours: Each week there will be designated hours for students to drop-in to the office for a Service Consultation. During these times, Service Learning Placement Coordinators will be available to help students on a first-come-first-serve basis. Drop in hours are scheduled weekly Mondays-Thursdays.
- Appointment: If a student is unavailable during the designated drop-in hours, there is availability for students to schedule an appointment with a Service Learning Placement Coordinator. The coordinators can be contact by email at : firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at: 503.493.6521.
- Service Learning Placement Coordination Line: If students would like to ask a question, but do not need a full service consultation, they can contact the Service Learning Placement Coordination Line at 503.493.6521. A member of the Service Learning Placement Coordination team will respond within 48-hours if not able to answer at the time of the call.
- Service Learning Placement Coordination Email: If students would like to ask a question, but do not need a full service consultation, they can contact the Service Learning Placement Coordination Program email at email@example.com. A member of the Service Learning Placement Coordination team will respond within 48-hours.