Master of Education - Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL): Checklist for Admission
Ready to apply? Please submit the following:
- Apply online or download the paper application and submit it with your $50 non-refundable application fee.
- Official transcripts demonstrating completion of a Baccalaureate degree. Your signature is mandatory for your transcripts to be released and there is usually a charge for this service. Call each school you have attended to find out its procedure for transcript release, and have the transcript sent directly to CU Admissions.*
- Two letters of recommendation, dated within six months of applying, that speak to qualifications or potential to teach English as a second language.
- A letter of intent (no longer than two pages) explaining:
- Why you desire to enter CU's Master of Education TESL program
- Where you want to be, personally and professionally, five years from now.
- Submit a detailed résumé that provides a history of work experience.
- International students applying to the MEd in TESL program have additional requirements.
- If you are an international student, a score of 80 (internet-based), 213 (computer-based), or 550 (paper-based) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) that is no more than two years old. You will also need to:
- Have completed a financial guarantee form
- Submit a copy of your passport
Once you have gathered the above materials, send to:The Office of Admissions
2811 NE Holman St.
Portland, OR 97211-6099
* Cumulative undergraduate GPA must be 2.80 or higher. The GPA for graduate courses transferred in must be 3.0 or higher.