The Concordia University Archives is a climate-controlled storage facility located on the first floor of the F.W.J. Sylwester Library in the George R. White Library & Learning Center on Concordia's Portland campus.
The Archives is a member of Archives West of the Orbis Cascade Alliance and its collections are searchable through the Archives West site. The collections are open to the public by appointment.
There are three archival collections housed in the Concordia University Archives:
Concordia University Archives
Concordia University Archives is the official repository for the University's records. Included in this collection are documents from the Board of Regents; the papers of University Presidents Sylwester, Weber, and Coates; the faculty and its numerous committees; the Concordia Guild; and various student organizations along with a photo collection.
NW District – LCMS
The Archives of the Northwest District of the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod are housed on the campus of Concordia University in the Concordia University Archives. Included in this collection are materials from the various committees and commissions of the District, congregational histories and documents from disbanded congregations, and photograph collections.
Center for Volga German Studies
The Archives of the Center for Volga German Studies at Concordia University are housed in the Concordia University Archives. This collection includes the personal papers of numerous researchers and historians along with historical documents and maps. Several historical photo sets are also part of the CVGS collections including that of the Rev. Jakob Riffel, a prominent historian among the Volga Germans who settled in Argentina.
The Concordia University Libraries maintain a Special Collection of rare books and books that are historically significant to the University. They include a collection of science fiction materials that contains many early editions and signed copies of Ray Bradbury’s works, illustrations of Hannes Bok, and fanzines. In addition, the University houses a collection of books that were illustrated by Berta and Elmer Hader and a multi-volume edition of Luther’s works that date from 1539-1572.