This Initial Administrative Certificate is designed for educators who possess an Oregon initial teaching license, have at least three years of full-time teaching experience and have the desire to continue their careers in building positions or administrative posts requiring an administrative license. Completion of this program enables candidates to apply for the Oregon Initial Administrator License. The program complies with the Teacher Standards and Practices Commission (TSPC) requirement that all candidates must complete an Administrative licensing program, including a practicum in order to be eligible for the Oregon Initial Administrator License. The TSPC standards as outlined in the most recent OARs are central to Concordia University - Portland's Initial Administrator Licensure program goals and objectives, and are specifically designed to enable educators to demonstrate the competencies required for this license. Candidates will demonstrate the administrative competencies as they proceed through the program and required practicum.
Initial Administrative Licensure Certificate Objectives
Successful candidates in the IAL will:
- IAL.I1: Describe how to create change and evaluate the factors that increase the success rate of change initiatives
- IAL.I2: Evaluate the research-based actions required to improve instruction and increase achievement for all students, and demonstrate an ability to create an improvement implementation plan
- IAL.EF1: Synthesize and act on the research on the characteristics of an educational community that challenges thinking, and explores and learns together to improve instruction and increase learning
- IAL.EF2: Describe and evaluate the role of leadership in relation to Resource Management, Systems Improvement and State as well as Organizational Requirements
- IAL.LT1: Analyze the impact of collaboration and the structures required to enhance collaboration among school staff, parents, students and community
Initial Administrative Licensure Certificate Course Requirements
EDGR 500: Professional Planning Seminar (1)
EDAD 560: Human and Financial Resources (3)
EDGR 606: Using Data to Improve Student Achievement (3)
EDGR 605: Instructional Leadership and Classroom Evaluation (3)
EDAD 607: Leading the School Community (3)
EDGR 622: School Law (3)
EDGR 626: Organizational Change (3)
EDAD 650: Administrative Practicum (3)
Total Credits: 22
For those candidates who already possess a recognized Master's degree from an accredited institution, completion of this program enables candidates interested in careers as building administrators to apply for the Oregon Initial Administrator License as outlined in the current OARs.
Courses can be taken on campus or as a combination of on campus and online.
At this time, those students that have earned a M.Ed. Educational Leadership degree from Concordia University will not be able to pursue the Initial Administrative Licensure Certificate due to course overlap.