The Call to Prepare, Respond, and Lead
How global communities respond to natural and human disasters is of growing importance. Since the formation of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security a decade ago, and as a result of the attacks of 9/11, a new body of knowledge has emerged. Our national safety and disaster preparedness needs have shifted and grown. Concordia’s bachelor’s degree in homeland security prepares students with the knowledge, skills, and personal ethics to help ensure safety and resiliency for local, national, and global communities. It’s an ideal major for those looking to help secure our nation from a variety of threats and respond in times of need.
At Concordia, the homeland security degree is offered in a highly flexible online format. Courses are delivered in eight-week cycles. Students also spent time in the field interning with public agencies, private companies, and non-profit organizations. Career options include first responders, public health, homeland security technology, intelligence, emergency management, transportation security, border security, cyber security, disaster response, and more.
And a totally immersive, state-of-the-art simulator puts students in the center of the action during a wide range of real-life security and disaster-related scenarios – everything from factory explosions, chemical spills, and plane crashes to hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, and wildfires. It’s a great way to put book and lecture theory into practice – and something you won’t find at any other school in the country.
- Designed for full- or part-time students
- Courses are taught by active and retired police and fire commanders, military leaders, and federal agents
- Simulator lets you experience security events and disasters first-hand, gaining critical leadership capabilities
- Federal, state, and local organizations employing homeland security professionals include the National Guard, Health Department, Office of Emergency Management, police and fire departments, Department of Public Safety, and more
“With Concordia’s mission of preparing leaders for the transformation of society, we’re the perfect place to build the personal ethics and professional knowledge to create secure and healthy communities.”
– Scott Winegar, Director of Homeland Security, Assistant Professor