Welcome to the Concordia University Writing Center!
Need help with a paper? Want to improve your writing skills? Searching for resources for your students? The Writing Center is here to help. We are a peer tutoring center located on the second floor of the George R. White Library & Learning Center (GRW-216). Writing support is also available for online students via online appointments. The center provides information, strategies, resources and exercises to help students become better writers.
Concordia Writing Center Goals
- Empower writers to improve their individual writing projects
- Provide information and resources about specific writing concerns
- Provide pedagogical support for faculty who use writing in their classrooms
WRITING CENTER LOCATION & HOURS
Location: GRW Library Rm 216.
Hours (Pacific time) as of November 14, 2016
- Monday: 11 AM — 5 PM
- Tuesday: 9:00-10:30 AM and 12 NOON — 8 PM
- Wednesday: 11 AM — 5 PM
- Thursday: 9:00-10:30 AM and 12 NOON — 8 PM
- Friday: 11 AM — 5 PM
Phone number: 503-280-8133 or toll-free at 1-855-493-6296 extension #1
Here to help
The center is staffed with knowledgeable and friendly tutors eager to help improve your writing skills. Tutors provide support and insight throughout the writing process and assist with the following:
- Discuss paper organization, ideas, and ways to strengthen concepts and arguments
- Provide guidance on proper grammar, punctuation, format, and citation rules
- Direct students to appropriate academic resources
- Answer questions about good writing!
Note: Tutors provide guidance and mentoring with writing skills but do not correct or rewrite papers nor conduct research.
HOW TO USE THE WRITING CENTER
There are two convenient ways to get help!
- Students are welcome to walk in to the Writing Center during open hours to meet with the next available tutor. However, students with appointments take priority over walk-ins. Stop by GRW-216.
- Make an appointment for an in-person or online consultation by emailing the Writing Center. Include your name and preferred day and time for an appointment. Also indicate whether you would like an in-person or online appointment.
Cancellations: If you need to cancel your appointment, please notify the Writing Center via email as soon as possible. Frequently missed appointments with no notification may result in the loss of some Writing Center privileges.
Ask a question
Have a specific question? Email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call us at 503-280-8133 or toll-free at 1-855-493-6296 extension #1.
"Live" online consultations
The Writing Center offers online consultations for distance learners or on-campus students who cannot make it to the physical campus. These consultations are conducted in real time using Google Docs and telephone conversation. Google Docs allows both parties to make changes to a document in real time and view the changes that the other person has made.
Please upload your document to Google Drive as a Google document and share it with email@example.com before your appointment time (see instructions below for help). At your appointment time, call the Writing Center at 503-280-8133 or toll-free at 1-855-493-6296 extension #1. This will connect you with your tutor, and your session can begin!
How to upload and share your document on Google Drive
- Sign in to Google. (Or, if you don't have an account, make an account using any email address.)
- Navigate to drive.google.com. (Or click on the “Apps” button – the square comprised of nine dots in the top right of the Google home screen – and choose “Drive” from the drop-down menu.)
- In Drive, make sure that your upload settings are set to convert files to Google Docs. To change your upload settings, click on the button with the gear on it on the upper right side of the screen, choose “Settings,” and check the box that says “convert uploaded files to Google Docs editor format.” (You’ll only have to do this once.)
- In Drive, upload your paper by clicking on the red “New” button on the left side of the screen. Choose “File Upload” from the drop-down menu, and select the file from your computer.
- Share your document with the Writing Center. Open your document and click the blue “share” button on the top right side of the screen and enter “firstname.lastname@example.org” in the text box. Click the blue “Done” button.
Feel free to email the Writing Center with questions regarding Google Drive. If you need someone to walk you through uploading and sharing on Google Drive, email and ask to schedule a 10-minute Google Drive tutorial. There is no time to provide Google Drive tutorials during the appointment time.
Online tutoring via email
The Writing Center offers tutoring via email for online students. To participate in email tutoring, please email a draft of your paper to email@example.com. In your email, please include:
- Your name
- Course name and number
- The assignment guidelines and/or rubrics for the paper
- A list of the top three writing concerns you would like to focus on in the review
- Any other questions or concerns regarding this paper or writing in general
NOTE: Tutors provide guidance and mentoring with writing skills but do not correct or rewrite papers nor conduct research. They will only mark grammar, punctuation and in-text citation errors on the first two pages of a paper. Support is designed to help students learn better writing skills.
Remember . . .
- Papers will be returned in 48 hours of submittal during open hours. Friday and Saturday do not count toward the 48 hours.
- Students may submit no more than three papers per week, and no more than 10 pages per week.
- Papers cannot be reviewed with the information above (name, course, assignment guidelines, etc.).
Leave feedback for the Writing Center
Fill out a feedback form.
The Writing Center for faculty & staff
We are excited to collaborate with faculty and staff to promote excellent writing. Check out our “Student & Faculty Resources” page on our website for original writing guides from the Writing Center and online resources. In addition, we have paper handouts in the Writing Center that address various writing topics (APA format, how to get started on a paper, proper use of commas, etc). Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org (general email) or email@example.com (coordinator email) with any questions, requests, or ideas.
Here are a couple ways you can help us out:
- Promote the Writing Center to your students! Mention our services in your syllabus or in class. Refer students who may benefit from our services.
- Share your writing tips, rubrics, and exemplar papers with us.
If you are interested in becoming a Writing Center consultant, please email Dr. Kris Kuhn. Working in the Writing Center as a consultant provides an opportunity to help peers improve their writing skills and improve your own in the process. Plus, being a Writing Center consultant is a paid position – we value your skills and expertise.