Concordia opened its doors for the first time at its current location in 1905. The school began as a four-year academy to meet the needs of the region for pastors and school teachers for the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod. The campus has evolved into a university that offers a solid liberal arts education, pre-professional programs, professional church work programs, and undergraduate and graduate degrees in education and business. The campus’ 2,000 students come from all over the United States and the world, but primarily from the Pacific Northwest.
Concordia University is a Christian university preparing leaders for the transformation of society. Located on 24 acres in a residential neighborhood of Portland, Concordia’s mission drives all planning in academics and future directions. The campus builds on its strengths, pursuing programs that will assist students to prepare for work or to enhance their pursuit of life-long learning. The Concordia community strives to encourage, support, and equip for service and fulfillment.
Concordia History Chronology
2016 Concordia graduates first doctorate level student; breaks ground on new College of Education building with Portland Public Schools’ Faubion School; completes weight room renovation
2015 Concordia recognized on U.S. President’s Community Service Honor Roll for fifth consecutive year
2014 Concordia admitted into NCAA Division II membership process
2012 Concordia opens the Hilken Community Stadium and the School of Law in Boise, Idaho.
2011 University breaks ground on the athletic complex for baseball and soccer.
2010 Social Work program received national accrediation by the Council of Social Work Education. Groundbreaking on the Concordia University School of Law on June22
2009 The George R. White Library & Learning Center is opened on August 10. The new Concordia Place Apartments on 27th Avenue are opened for occupancy.
2008 Groundbreaking for the George R. White Library & Learning Center. Dedication of the Concordia University Throw Center.
2007 University reorganizes academic programs into four colleges: School of Management, College of Education, College of Theology, Arts& Sciences, and College of Health & Human Services.
2006 Concordia Teacher Corps established.
2005 Bachelor of Science in Nursing program receives approval from the Oregon State Board of Nursing. Centennial anniversary celebrated with service projects and a reunion weekend.
2004 Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges (NASC) becomes Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).
2002 The first fully online program, the M.Ed., is offered.
2001 Master of Business Administration offered by the School of Management.
1998 New 245-bed residence complex opens, doubling resident student population.
1997 Healthcare administration program is approved for associate membership to the Association of University Programs in healthcare administration; Director of Christian education program is expanded with calling of full-time director.
1996 Distance learning classes and CUS visiting student program begin.
1996 Master’s degree programs in teacher education offered.
1995 Concordia converted to semester calendar. Concordia College became Concordia University, Portland, a member of the Concordia University System.
1994 Environmental management degree program launched.
1992 Concordia exceeded enrollment of 1000 and the Luther Hall expansion is completed.
1991 Secondary Education was added.
1989 Accelerated degree programs in management, communications, and leadership were established for working adults.
1985 The region's first healthcare administration & international executive program was added.
1982 The international student programs were initiated.
1980 The first four-year students graduated with baccalaureate degrees.
1977 Concordia became a four-year college. This decision was made at the Dallas Convention of the Lutheran of Church - Missouri Synod.
1971 Concordia converted to Quarter calendar.
1962 Accreditation was achieved with the NW Assoc. of Schools & Colleges.
1954 The coeducational program was added.
1950 The junior college department for men was introduced.
1905 The school began as a four-year academy to meet the needs of the area for pastors and parochial school teachers for the Lutheran Church.